Thursday, February 25, 2010

Marriage is Ministry


Being a Wife in Ministry


What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel they are joined for life - to strengthen each other in all labor, to rest on each other in all sorrow, to minister to each other in all pain, to be one with each other in silent, unspeakable moments in the last parting?

~George Elliot


When you hear the word "ministry", what do you think of? Does your mind go straight to church? What about your pastor? Or maybe the lovely clergy that sits in the pulpit with the pastor and first lady? Well, you are not wrong. But there are also other meanings behind ministry, similarities to the church, but talking about home ministries and what you do outside of the church. In your home and when you come in contact with the people you share this world with.


Here are some other meanings of "ministry"


Ministry as defined by Webster:


  1. the act of ministering, or serving, ministration

  2. that which serves as a means; agency

  3. the building or buildings of such a department

Have you ever thought to yourself that your marriage is not just for you and your household? For example, when you have a severe car accident, but you walk away without a scratch. You cant keep that to yourself and your husband, you tell everyone that you can think of how your life has been saved and you have one more chance! Its the same with your marriage. What you go through good or bad, is just not just for the testament of the household, but to encourage and to strengthen others around you so they know that they are not alone. That's why I love this blog because I can not only encourage others but I am being encouraged as well


Proverbs 31:10-31 talks about the role of the wife. Now, somethings we as wives no longer do (not a negative), but what we do have to do now makes up for them. As I read the passage more and more I find myself realizing that this virtuous woman isn't just doing this for home, but to be a light unto others. Even what she does behind the scenes, shines so bright, that when her husband goes to work, the people can see the profits of marriage.


Being a wife in ministry is not easy. Either way you look at it your role is a role you must work at for the lifetime of your marriage. Whether you are the first lady of the church, a minister's wife, or a football coach's wife, your duty is one that must be shown in and out of the house. Even though it is a job of its own, it fulfills you in knowing that you are making your other whole happy!


I cant speak on being the first lady of a church but I can speak on being the first lady of my husband. As you all know, my husband is a football coach. As Spring football is approaching, the practices, team meetings, coaches meeting, etc. Not only does home have to be right, but the encounter with these boys families has to be right. Meaning, that no matter what happens you have to have the strength to endure. Its interesting because sometimes you don't realize what the effects of home can do when you are outside of the home. Our husbands encounter things on a daily basis, some we know of and some we are unaware of, but it is our duty to make sure that the FIRST LADY can take on the seen and the unseen.


As any ministry, you have your low moments. It can be from anything, but communication is key. As a first lady there are a lot of changes that may happen that we don't understand at the time, but in due time we will see. We are emotional human-beings so we must channel or emotions for the positive because sometimes when hubby comes home after a long day, our nagging isn't so positive...lol.


For example, I'm pregnant. That should say enough right there...lol. Emotions are going everywhere, stretching of the belly, backaches, cravings, nausea, etc. So you can never know what mood I am in...lol. I have been so used to having all of my husbands attention, that when I realized that Spring football and the season is vastly approaching, atenas went up. Guard was up, everything. It wasn't that I was worried, but I want my husband to myself. Then on top of that, the pressure of looking for a house was not helping either. My husband would come home, dinner would be ready the whole nine, but he could tell something was wrong. Instead of being open, I wouldn't say anything at all. But it didn't help anything. Nothing at home or at his job. He works with kids all day and then you never know how administration will act. Wifey wasn't making it any better. Finally one day, we had to talk. It was then I realized that my husband isn't going anywhere but that I cant be so spoiled right now. I mean, I still am cause he still spoils me :-) But this time in ministry is where I must have the guard, not towards my husband, but for my husband, to help him when it gets rough with ministry at work and even when things are going well, to still have that drive.


This is a franchise that we are building with our husbands and no it will not always be easy. But one thing that we can say is that our foundation is strong enough to hold and withstand anything! We are not only shining light when its convenient but even when the road is rocky, our testament has to be one of that IT CAN AND IT WILL WORK!!!!!


Marriage is Ministry, its work, its time, its love, its compassion, its going through the unknown, but trusting that the unknown will be with you lifelong whole. Your Husband!


2 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT! THANKS LADY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To add to what Dani said...You never know who is learning God through your ministry of marriage. People are always watching and observing, they are especially watching those who claim to be christians. Keep your household in order and "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:16

    ReplyDelete