Friday, April 9, 2010

Why Did I Get Married Too?

So we've waited a week to talk about it so let's talk! So sorry for those of you who haven't seen it yet...

First my opinion:

The movie was emotionally charged and so full of drama! Real marital drama at that, but I was terribly disappointed with the last 15 minutes of the movie...WHY? Because there were NO lessons learned, nothing for me to grow on in my own marriage. Trying my best not to give EVERYTHING away I'll just say that I was disappointed that in Pat (Janet Jackson) saying, "fix your marriages, you don't want to end up like me" everyone is suddenly happy, in love and marriages fixed. Furthermore, I did not like that we never got to see Pat say, 'Oh I do love my husband and I should not have wanted a divorce, and I'm sad things ended this way.' All we saw was her new potential in the end...no moment of reflection. With the movie missing these two elements I feel like viewers did not leave strengthened, or encouraged, or with a tidbit of wisdom to carry home with them (Sidenote: I do believe that Why Did I Get Married? 1 did provide these things.). Now ignoring the last 15 minutes...the movie was absolutely entertaining!

I know alot of people out there may disagree with me, so please share your thoughts...let's get the debate started in the comments section.

Now, with respect to the couples...there were some lessons to be learned as Dani already pointed out in her latest entry on Rage. I saw lessons on trust, communication, support and forgiveness.

That's all for now. More to come later...

1 comment:

  1. Yes!!! I was disappointed with the ending. I know Tyler Perry said on his interview with Oprah that he did change the ending to the movie at the last minute and while I don't know if that statement specifically referred to the last 15 minutes, it did feel random and unnecessary. Perhaps foreshadowing for a potential Why Did I get Married 3? Otherwise I thought the movie was great!

    I think the story line that hit closest to home for me was that of Jill Scott's character. Especially when they pointed out it's hard for a good man to date/marry a good woman after she's been with a bad man. I've seen (in my own relationship) where I may react stronger to something my man is doing because it's something I tolerated in the past and no longer plan to in the present. I was hurt so badly by certain actions ex's made that I have little patience for them now. I'm learning to react and communicate in a better, more open, and healthier way.

    ReplyDelete