Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Showing Appreciation in Everything

Flatter me, and I may not believe you. Criticize me, and I may not like you. Ignore me, and I may not forgive you. Encourage me, and I may not forget you. ~William Arther

Appreciation may not seem like a big thing in a marriage but when you feel unappreciated outside of home, you look to come home and feel that appreciation. At moments not only feel but also hear it.

You know they say actions speak louder than words. I have come to realize that at times, even though our actions may show appreciation, its nice to hear it to. Its easy to think that our spouse knows that we love and that we appreciate all that they do for us, but just saying the words, "Thank You", "You are Awesome", "I love you just because", etc. keep a spark that honestly that may go unnoticed.

Author Karen Leland suggests the following five ways to show appreciation:
1. Be specific.
2. Make it about character.
3. Drop a line; draft a note.
4. Be sincere.
5. Turnaround is fair play.

My 1 year anniversary is coming up, and because that's a monumental moment in our marriage, I am thinking about what I can do for my husband to let him know that I appreciate all that he has done within this first year of marriage and that I am looking forward to the rest of forever with him. While my focus is on July, why not NOW. Why not do something, doesn't have to be big or grand but just something to know that I appreciate him Now! I had a reality check about 2 weeks ago with appreciation and you never want the one that is closest to you to feel unappreciated for any reason.

As India Arie says, "Its the Little Things". So if you haven't already, let your spouse know how much you appreciate them.






No comments:

Post a Comment